Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Twitter is my enemy

ok, not really. I just need to lear to NOT have it on in the background while I am at work. Don't get me wrong, I love to chat it up with folks in England, CA, TX, AZ, OR, UT, and such while I work. I don't take smoke breaks, am efficient in my job, and dog-gone it, people like me! So why not Tweet.
Well.....
Today, out of the blue that is Twitterverse, I recieved this tweet:

Hey Vermont - let's ride!! 4pm in Waterbury. Corner of Main St & Warren Ct at what looks like a park to me (on Google Earth). #twitterride!

Benign enough, unless you know who it is from. That's right, it was from THIS GUY:
No? Need a better clue? Ok, how about this:
That's right. Lance. Love him or hate him, he is an icon of our era. Being in the healthcare arena, seeing almost daily how Cancer can ravage the human body, mind, and spirit, I have beaucoup respect for this young man and his crusade.
Our oldest has a Dr.'s appointment today at 2, so I am leaving work at 130 to watch the daycare while my wife goes to the appointment. Being a fool, as soon as I got the tweet I called her. "Hey, what time will M's appt. be over?"
"I dunno, 3 maybe. Why, what's up?"
"Wellllll, ya seeeee.....yourbuddyLanceisgoingtobeinWaterburyat4forabikeride. Yes, I got a tweet. I know that I can't make it, but I think it is pretty cool, and wanted to share it with you."
"Wait a minute, perhaps I CAN make this work", my accomodating wife said. "Let me call my Mom and see what we can do, ok? You can't miss this chance!"
me: "no, no, no, it's not going to work, and that's O-K. i just thought it was neat and wanted to share."
"Shhhh. We'll work it out. I will call you back."
tick tock tick tock (not 3 minutes passed)
"Hi!"
"Hi. I talked to mimi, and she'll be at the house at 230. You should take B with you, too. It will be great!"
So as HUMBLY as I could, I said thank you, and then we worked out some of the kiddo logistics.
As of right now, I am bringing B, his bike trailer, and my 1999 Rockhopper with skinny tires to Waterbury, VT to go for a ride with Lance. I hope to be able to hang for at least 2 miles, then who knows.
We'll try to get photos, and perhaps get Lance to sign B's bike helmet, and try not to be obtrusive at the same time. just like all 3500 other people who might be there. wish us luck!!!

6 comments:

  1. That is seriously cool! Have fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOU. ARE. SOOOOOO. LUCKY!!!!! Yes, pictures please!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you friggin kidding me??!!? Mimi getcha ass over there right now and let Gene go! Pictures, and not photoshop make-believe either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG that is sooooo awesome. I expect details on your next post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jeff...wikkid funny. she showed up in plenty of time. kinda. did you know that an explorer sport trak can maintain 75 mph for an hour? yep....that sucking sound? gas leaving my tank....totally worth it....

    ReplyDelete